Thursday, August 8, 2013

Ferment This!

I've been wanting to make some fermented food for awhile now.  It is pretty popular right now it seems, I get that idea from reading posts on Facebook and from various sites.  When I saw this recipe, I knew it was time to try:

Sweet and Sour Fermented Coleslaw

I did my kraut a little bit different though.

The first batch went quickly, as in it was gone no time and was very nice indeed!  I have my second batch working it's magic, we are hooked!  Here is the recipe I came up with:

1 head cabbage, core it and shred
1 kohlrabi, shredded, or sliced paper thin
2 carrots, shred
1/4 c. whey (drain the whey off of some yogurt)
1/2 tbsp. sea salt

Put all this in a big bowl and beat it up with a masher.  I also squeeze it and punch it with clean hands.  Cover and let the juices develop for 30 minutes.  Come back and squeeze it a couple of times to help it along.  Press very tightly into a quart jar with the right kind of lid.  You can get special fermenting lock lids for canning jars, or use a jar like shown below.  Pour the juices over it and press more to get the veg under the juices.  Put on the shelf for 3 to 7 days.  Everyday I visit the kraut and push under the juices and smell of it, it should smell sour, and not rotten.  You will see it bubble, when the bubbles stopped, I put it in the frig.  The kraut will still ferment in the frig, but it will be slowly at this point. The flavours will continue to develop.  Taste it from time to time to see if it is there.  Enjoy with the recipe above, over brats, or on reuben.  


I also made some kimchee, not as popular as the kraut but good with Korean style ribs.


Now this stuff was brill!  It is called cordito, it is absolutely delicious as a posole topping.


The next picture isn't fermented, but pickled.  It is a relish I make from my garden cukes.

Sorry, no exact measures this time.  I make as I need it, dictated by cucumber harvest.  Small chopped cucumber and onion in a bowl.  Equal amounts vinegar and sugar, turmeric, celery seed, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper.  Boil until the sugar is dissolved.  Pour hot over the cucumber and onion mixture. Pack the veg into a jar and pour enough picking liquid to just cover.  You reserve the liquid for another batch if you have some left over.  Keep the relish in the refrigerator.


Produce, glorious produce!


These courgettes came from the same plant, round and different colours.


I made a moist cornbread muffin from them.

                                                   

I used a basic cornbread recipe and added fresh corn kernels and shredded courgette to the mixture.  Try it, they are good!


Here are some flowers, enjoy!




 The happy sunflower reaching for the sky, complete with a bee.  Classic!

In my garden, this shall be known as the year of the aubergine.





I am getting too many to fit in the picture, about a dozen every three days, or so.

                                         

 Lots of, from this....



....To this.


Opening up, bees welcome!


Survivors of the "Great Shiso Disaster"


The okra is still going.....


More fermenting, thought I would try to ferment salsa this time.

                                        

The usual suspects:



                                                  
With extra bit parts....

                                          

The reveal will be next time......

*********************************************************************************
 







I used to make this at Overton Grange!





 




2 comments:

  1. Fermenting does seem to be very popular right now. It's supposed to be so healthy too. I'll give your recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get good results. Enjoy! On a separate note, that little farm is selling corn now.....Just git my first 6 ears picked fresh for me.

    ReplyDelete